loader
  |  

Built in 1928, the Chicago Motor Club Building is a local landmark in the City of Chicago and is also listed in the National Register Michigan-Wacker Historic District. The building was designed by Holabird and Root and is an excellent example of Art Deco architecture. Elaborate geometric ornamentation in limestone, terra cotta and cast iron exist throughout the south façade. The former Chicago Motor Club Building was used as an office space before sitting empty for several years. The recent rehabilitation and restoration work has adaptively transformed the interior into a modern hotel, while preserving and restoring the original character of the exterior.


Professional Services

Klein & Hoffman was retained to perform the design and administration of the exterior façades, which included a limited investigation of the condition of the façades to determine an appropriate scope of work. After the investigation and preparation of construction documents, the work performed included stabilization and restoration of exterior limestone, terra cotta and brick. Restoration of the original steel windows and cast iron ornament on the lobby level was led by HPA with our input. The desire to maintain as much of the original material as possible and keep costs and construction period low led to innovative repair solutions, particularly related to areas of terra cotta ornament on the south façade.

68 E. Wacker Place
Chicago, IL 60601

Commercial
Facade Repair
Curtainwall / Windows
Historic Preservation
Ordinance & Special Inspections
Mid Rise

07/2014 - 04/2015

Christopher Enck, Associate IV
Pete Roman, Inspector III